I know my last post was also a form of pasta and garlic bread but I couldn’t not share this! Last night I made the most delicious caserecci with “meaty” ragu sauce, served with crispy roasted broccoli and garlic bread 😍 This is one of my favourite ways to cook broccoli (particularly tenderstem or purple sprouting) and it even works amazingly well on the barbecue! 🥦
Ingredients (ragu sauce):
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 brown onion, finely diced
• 1 large garlic clove, finely sliced
• 6 vegan meatballs, chopped into pea-sized pieces
• 1 tsp chilli flakes
• 1 tsp dried basil
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1 tbsp tomato purée
• 100ml red wine
• 1 tin plum tomatoes, crushed
• 1 meat-free beef Oxo cube
• 100ml boiled water
• 1 tsp wild garlic pesto
• salt and pepper to season
Method (ragu sauce):
1. Soften the onion in the olive oil until translucent.
2. Add the garlic and fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the chopped meatballs and fry for a couple more minutes.
4. Add the chilli flakes, basil and oregano. Fry for a couple more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the tomato purée, stir through thoroughly and fry for a couple of minutes.
6. Add the wine, mix through and simmer until reduced.
7. Add the tinned tomatoes, crumbled Oxo cube and water. Stir through. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
8. Add the wild garlic pesto and stir through.
9. Season to taste.
• 4/5 sprigs of purple sprouting/ tenderstem broccoli
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• salt and pepper
1. Stir all ingredients in an oven-proof dish.
2. Roast in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes (until crispy but tender).