Bonfire Night Soup 🎇 Named so because I first had this at a bonfire night gathering a few years back at my friend’s house 🔥 This is one of the most simple, affordable, filling and nutritious meals in my repertoire and it’s become a firm favourite of mine 😍 Of course the goes to my friend’s mum for introducing the recipe to me in the first place 🖤 The key ingredient is a little blob of Marmite! It just brings the salty, umami flavour to the dish like no other ingredient 😋
Ingredients (I eyeball everything so quantities are very rough):
• 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
• 1 brown onion, diced
• 1 heaped tsp of minced/jarred garlic
• a pinch of chilli flakes
• a pinch of dried oregano
• 2 cups of red lentils
• 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
• 1 vegetable stock cube
• 1/2 tsp of Marmite
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Fry the onion and garlic in vegetable oil until soft.
2. Add chilli flakes and oregano and fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the lentils and stir through until everything is evenly combined.
4. Add the tin of tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
5. Add the crushed up stock cube, however much boiled water you feel is enough for your preferred soupy consistency, and the Marmite.
6. Simmer until the lentils are tender. Feel free to add more water if the soup is too thick.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Plate up! I served mine with crunchy croutons but it’s delicious with crusty bread or over rice if it’s a little on the thick side.